Hextend is a formulation of 6% hetastarch combined with a physiologically balanced crystalloid carrier that more closely mirrors plasma electrolyte balance than 6% hetastarch in 0.9% sodium chloride. The hetastarch component creates oncotic pressure, which would normally be provided by blood proteins, and permits retention of intravascular fluid. The crystalloid carrier provides electrolytes necessary for physiologic functions and has a composition resembling that of the principal ionic constituents of normal plasma. Hextend contains a normal physiological level of calcium.
Hextend® (6% Hetastarch in Lactated Electrolyte Injection):
- Balanced electrolyte solution that resembles the composition of the principal ionic constituents of normal plasma.
- Total dosage and rate of infusion depend on the amount of blood or plasma lost and the resultant hemoconcentration as well as age, weight, and clinical condition of the patient.
- Volumes in excess of 1500 mL per day have been used where severe blood loss has occurred, although generally only in conjunction with the administration of blood and blood products.
- Completely synthetic, no risk of potential viral or prion contamination including HIV and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease.
- Effective and economical alternative to 5% albumin.
- Solutions containing hetastarch are contraindicated in patients with known sensitivity to hydroxyethyl starch, with bleeding disorders or with congestive heart failure where volume overload is a potential problem.
- Solutions containing hetastarch should not be used in renal disease with oliguria or anuria not related to hypovolemia.
- Do not use in leukapheresis.
Please see the Hextend Product Insert for complete prescribing information.
Hextend is manufactured and distributed by Hospira, Inc., Lake Forest, IL 60045, USA under license from BioTime, Inc., Alameda, CA 94502, USA.